Wednesday, June 4, 2014

New Jasper Necklace

I liked my recent jasper bezel necklace so much that I just finished a similar piece which also features a bezel set piece of jasper.
As in the previous necklace, I again set a bezel on a piece of etched metal which is riveted to a base of copper, also etched.
The chain portion of the necklace is made with hand formed links of recycled, heavy gauge copper wire, sterling wire-wrapped beads of citrine, crystal and honey jade and textured rings.
 
Once the necklace was assembled,
I treated it in a warm bath of liver of sulfur, creating an instant patina on the metal.
I used my sanding block to clean the necklace, leaving only highlights of the dark patina.
The pendant was made with a jasper bead set into an etched copper bezel which was soldered on to a square of etched silver nickel.
That square of silver nickel was riveted on to a piece of etched copper which has 3 soldered jump rings for making connections.
 Once again, the copper bezel was a bear to work with since the gauge was a bit thicker than ideal for bezel work.
Oh well....sometimes I just work with what I have at hand.
I didn't like working with it, but I do really like the added texture that the bezel adds to the pendant.
I also really like the etched copper that I used for the pendant base.
This copper was etched months ago and sat on my workbench just waiting for the right project.
 
I'm still deciding if I like the bottom of the pendant.
I tend to repeat myself by adding clusters of wire wrapped gemstones at the bottom of my pendants but chose this time to use one of my recently made fold formed leaves.
 
Keep it....change it...
I haven't decided .

No comments:

Post a Comment