Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bracelet Redo

Early last year, I made one of my etched, mixed-metals bracelets featuring a central bezel with part of a vintage black & white photo.
I admit I briefly hesitated before using this image of a man wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, looking to his left.
A somewhat peculiar selection, but there was something about this guy that captured and kept my attention.
I imagined him as a sort of hybrid of James Dean and Tom Joad with a rich storyline of integrity and struggle.
 
Well....I thimk I'm the only one intrigued by this gentleman.
The bracelet caught the attention of quite a few people, but the reaction was typically,
"That's weird."
or
"Ummmm....that's kind of creepy."
 
Since I had not made the bracelet for it to become a part of my permanent collection,
I decided James/Tom Dean/Joad had to go.
A jasper cabochon set in a sterling bezel on a piece of milled copper is the new central highlight.
The bracelet is now at Woodmere Art Museum, along with a group of earrings and necklaces that were delivered this afternoon.
 
James/Tom Dean/Joad is back on my workbench...
and I have no idea what to do with him.
 
I think I'm stuck with him.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog. I had a whole comment written out, and poof! It was gone! Suffice to say, this guy is great. NOT creepy. Hope you use him in another jewelry project. Some people have no vision, so it's an artist's job to dig your heels in and refuse to listen to uninspired input! Yeah, I said it! Reminds me I've gotta crack open my newly-purchased copy of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children...proof that there's a huge market for these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...not creepy. Intriguing, yes. I however disagree with your thoughts on the 'artist's job'. I love it when someone connects with my work, but if that doesn't happen, I don't assume that that person has no vision. I respect that we each have our own views on where beauty can be found. It's not my job to dig in my heels to try to make someone see things as I do. It is my job to sell my creations. I haven't read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, but like my bezel set guy, I find the cover and title to be intriguing. Hope it's a good read for you!

    ReplyDelete