Wednesday, October 7, 2015

L'Enfant Cheesecloth

This week's studio efforts have included etching and texturing different pieces of metal.
The metal will soon become earrings, necklaces and bracelets as I prepare for the holiday season.
I know, I know....it's not even Halloween yet; how dare I speak of the holiday season?
I have an appointment next week to drop off my inventory for the seasonal display at one of the galleries where I sell, 
so I am well into my sort-of-end-of-year busy schedule.

Assuming that nobody wants to see the same thing that they saw last year, I've been testing out some new textures.
A new favorite is this cheesecloth pattern that I etched into pieces of silver nickel.
I liked how the larger pieces looked after cleaning them with a brass brush post-etching, 
but I liked the pattern even more once I cut a selection of smaller pieces.
Seeing isolated bits of the cheesecloth texture made me think that they resembled plan views of an urban network of roads....

like Pierre L'Enfant's 1791 plan for Washington, DC. 
Ooooopssss...
it's the landscape architect in me coming out.

Those little sections of roadways are due to become earrings late tonight.

1 comment: